Posted: 23.03.20 at 22:01 by The Editor
The Deepings has gone into effective lockdown this evening following Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s nationwide TV broadcast in which he laid down stringent new rules in a bid to battle coronavirus.
Mr Johnson issued a stark message this evening (Mon): "I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home."
He says this is critical to stop the disease spreading between households and explained that people will only be allowed to leave their home for 'very limited' reasons.
- shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
- one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household
- any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and work can not be undertaken from home.
"That’s all - these are the only reasons you should leave your home.
"You should not be meeting friends. If your friends ask you to meet, you should say no.
"You should not be meeting family members who do not live in your home.
"You should not be going shopping except for essentials like food and medicine - and you should do this as little as you can. And use food delivery services where you can," added Mr Johnson.
The police will have the powers to enforce the rules if they are not followed, including through fines and dispersing gatherings.
To ensure compliance with the instruction to stay at home, the Government will immediately:
- close all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores, and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship
- stop all gatherings of more than two people in public - excluding people you live with
- stop all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals
Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed.
Stamford Nub News wants to know what you are planning to do to get through this unprecedented situation.
If you have a story to tell, either click on the black Nub It button to self-publish or email [email protected]
We are all in this together and together we will emerge stronger in a united community.