Posted: 07.04.21 at 11:30 by The Editor
David Williams, a former RAF officer and current Chair of the Lincolnshire Police Independent Advisory Group (IAG) has announced he is standing as the independent candidate in the upcoming Lincolnshire Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) elections.
David said: “I’m delighted to be standing as independent candidate in the May 2021 PCC elections and am grateful to the Lincolnshire Independents for supporting my campaign”.
David has a long association with Lincolnshire having first trained and served in the county with the RAF in the 1980s, finally moving back here to settle down with his family in 2002.
David’s career began in teaching before going on to serve with the RAF including operational tours in Northern Ireland and the Middle East. He later joined the civil service working in a number of senior roles within Ofsted before returning to education as a senior lecturer at the University of Lincoln.
When asked why he was standing for election David said: “As Chair of the Lincolnshire Police IAG for the past two years I have worked closely with the Police and seen first-hand the challenges and opportunities they face. It is that knowledge combined with my experience of working with Lincolnshire’s Youth Offending Team that has persuaded me that, while a great deal of good work is carried out there is much more that can and must be done to make our communities feel safer.”
David added: “What’s needed in Lincolnshire isn’t just money and more officers. It’s about the PCC showing leadership. It’s about making a difference to people’s lives and their experience of the police. And it’s definitely not about politics. It’s about having someone who has only communities’ interests in mind and who has the knowledge, ability and determination to make things happen and get results.”
According to his election address David wants to:
• Build public trust and confidence in policing ensuring every community across Lincolnshire has a say in policing priorities for their area
• Be ambitious so Lincolnshire’s Police is recognised as one of the highest performing Forces in the country
• Promote best practice and innovation to deliver adaptable, forward looking policing capable of responding quickly to changing priorities and new challenges and opportunities
• Put victims first and at the heart of everything we do
• Demand a fairer funding settlement for Lincolnshire’s police, challenging the government to honour its commitment to levelling up.
Further details on David can be found here.
Mr Williams joins two other candidates who have so far announced they are standing; Marc Jones for the Conservative Party who is the current PCC, and Rosie Kirk who is standing as the Labour candidate.
*Calling other candidates. Please email your details and a similar statement / press release to [email protected]